Ready to change healthcare? IBM Watson Health uses Cognitive Computing to tackle some of healthcare’s most challenging problems. It transforms health with new approaches to care, productivity and well-being. Watson Health’s cognitive systems understand, reason and learn – helping to translate information into knowledge that can help drive more informed decision-making. With cognitive computing, we can see and analyse more data than ever before – and achieve more than we ever thought possible.
In Watson Health we have an exciting opportunity for a Design Researcher. Join the Watson Health Design team’s mission to build revolutionary health care products. Our environment is ever changing and requires a candidate who is flexible, thrives in ambiguity, and can effectively collaborate across cross-functional groups and locations. We’re looking for a Design Researcher with a passion for digging deep into user requirements, understanding their needs and identifying potential solutions. While the entire team is focused on doing what is best for the user, the Design Researcher is in many ways the “voice of the user” within our product teams. It is imperative that you not just report your findings, we need your actionable insights.
Although Design Research will be your primary role, we’re looking for candidates with secondary skill in User Experience Design.
• Work with User Experience Designers, Visual Designers and Developers to ensure that research is conducted that will support design choices
• Plan, design, and conduct Lean UX activities (in person and remote) in an Agile environment
• Participate in hands-on workshops, brainstorming and design sessions.
• Conduct secondary research (market research reports, psychology whitepapers, previous user research, etc.) as a means to supplement primary research with real users
• Conduct user and behavioral research to identify user needs/traits to inform persona development
• Create and maintain personas in order to build team empathy and use them in storytelling techniques
• Analyze and synthesize research in order to translate insights into actions and requirements
• Distill the inherent complexity and identify the right problems to solve
• Clearly deliver findings and recommendations to cross-functional teams through low-fidelity information radiators (process flows, diagrams, etc.)
• Evaluate and validate early designs through regular usability testing of wireframes and clickable prototypes as well as published products
• Be curious, inventive, questioning, open to critique and have great initiative
• Demonstrated ability to design research methodologies including primary and secondary research, interviews, usability testing (primarily remote) and surveys
• Demonstrated ability to translate research findings into specific, prioritized recommendations to improve product designs
• Demonstrated ability to tell a meaningful story about the user
• Demonstrated written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to articulate and present alternative approaches
• Attention to detail
• Bachelor's Degree in a related field including HCI, Psychology, User Experience Design, or equivalent practical experience
• Portfolio/work samples at any fidelity including:
o Information radiators such as personas, mental models, diagrams, etc.
o Visualizations of complex user experiences: flows, scenarios, etc.
o Early sketches to low-fidelity interactions (show your process)
• At least 1 year of experience conducting user research with responsibilities and skills similar to the list above
• At least 1 year of experience in Secondary skill of User Experience Design
• At least 1 year of experience in Agile, Scrum and Lean
• Experience working on complex products with multiple user groups
• Readiness to travel up to 25% annually
• English: Fluent
• Master's Degree in a related field
• Experience working with distributed teams, even better if you have international experience
• Data analysis and statistical analysis experience
• Experience with natural language processing or artificial intelligence software
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
See Job Description
Preferred Tech and Prof Experience
See Job Description
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.