IBM Cloud, infrastructure - Advanced Customer Support – Network Support Engineer is a customer facing support role. This role’s primary responsibility is to assist customers and fellow employees in the deployment, configuration, break/fix resolution, security and management, on a variety of networking devices and networking technologies. This position interfaces directly with our tier2/tier3 support, internal networking departments, and other customer facing groups.
• Responsible for customer facing technical support, on any and all SoftLayer-IBM products that are responsible for customer security and network communications: Fortinet security appliance, Citrix Netscaler, Vyatta v5400/v5600. Core technologies include but are not limited to firewall, VPN (Virtual Private Network), load balancing, layer 2/3.
• Work alongside our Tier2/Tier3 support team, Managed Services System’s Administrators, and Technical Account Managers (TAM) to solution and resolve customer issues.
• Interacting directly with Vendor support.
• Troubleshoot and identify network issues as they arise and escalate to internal networking team(s) as needed/required.
• Network protocols/technologies: BGP (Border Gateway Protocol), OSPF (Open Shortest Path First), VLAN (Virtual Local Area Networks), IPv4/6 (Internet Protocol), LACP (Link Aggregation Control Protocol), IPSEC (Internet Protocol Security), GRE (Generic Routing Encapsulation), and many others.
• Ability to recognize and prioritize critical tasks independently.
• This is a shift-based position for a 24/7/365 department; individuals must be prepared to work a shift that may include weekend and holiday work, off schedule education/training, and participate in an on-call rotation as required.
• Must be able and willing to sit in front of a computer for extended periods of time.
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
• High School Diploma/GED
• At least 1 year experience in a customer facing support position.
• At least 2 years of experience working on firewall, load balancing, and VPN technologies or equivalent education.
• Demonstrated organization and time management skills
• Demonstrated verbal and written communication skills
• A demonstrated understanding of customer service
• Must be self-motivated and disciplined
Preferred Tech and Prof Experience
• Bachelor’s Degree
• Industry Certifications: CCNP (Cisco Certified Network Professional), CCIE (Cisco Certified Internetwork Expert), CCNA (Cisco Certified Network Associate), or other certifications desired
• Vendor Certifications: Brocade and Brocade Certified vRouter (a big plus), Citrix certifications, or other vendor specific certifications desired.
• Basic understanding of the Linux operating system
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.