IBM Bluemix Infrastructure (SoftLayer) is currently recruiting for System Administrators to join our Dallas, TX team. This position will be focused on all aspects of the automated provisioning of Operating Systems, Hypervisors, and add-on software packages for customer systems running on physical and virtual hosts. The candidate will have experience with many distributions of Linux/UNIX, plus hypervisor OSes (XenServer, VMWare) and Windows Server, strong scripting skills, as well as a wide variety of knowledge in multiple aspects of technology. This role requires an individual to adapt to change, and continuously improve the services we offer.
• As a Compute Systems Administrator, you will be responsible for, but not limited to:
• Updating, testing, and supporting software provisioning systems;
• Assisting with the day-to-day troubleshooting of services to formulate new methods to proactively catch problems;
• Participate in designing of innovative solutions to improve current procedures; act as an escalation point for internal point for internal support departments in resolving a wide variety of customer facing issues regarding environment deployment, service issues, and technical questions;
• Manage multiple projects with various priority levels and time lines from start to finish;
• Demonstrate best practices in all aspects of administration;
• Develop and maintain accurate documentation for internal procedures and services;
• Participate in weekly rotating on-call responsibilities, providing 24/7 coverage;
• Continuously staying abreast of new developments in supported operating systems to ensure consistent compatibility with established infrastructure.
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
• High School Diploma or GED equivalent;
• Minimum of 1 year systems administration experience in a production environment;
• Minimum of 1 year experience troubleshooting;
• Fundamental knowledge of network concepts, familiarity with TCP/IP and VLAN functionality;
• Basic knowledge of Apache;
• Familiar with x86 based hardware;
• Scripting language experience such as i.e. Bash, PHP, Ruby, Python
• Experience with Git Hub.
Preferred Tech and Prof Experience
• Bachelor’s degree
• Minimum of 3 years’ system administration experience in a production environment;
• Minimum of 3 years’ troubleshooting complex problems;
• Experience with Operating Systems such as: CentOS, RedHat, Debian, Ubuntu, SUSE Linux, FreeBSD, XenServer, VMware ESXi, Windows Server;
• Experience with Kickstart, Preseed, AutoYAST, BSDinstall, DHCP, PXE/TFTP, system, XML, XSLT;
• Experience using automation tools such as Chef, Puppet, Ansible to deploy and configure environments;
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.