The Weather Company, an IBM Business is seeking a Senior Software Engineer to join a team in the development of distributed systems and services using Scala, Java, Akka, Cassandra, and other open source and emerging technologies. Work with new and emerging technologies, deploy to managed Kubernetes, and learn new tools and techniques.
We are building the next generation of our data delivery platform and need multidisciplinary developers to work on multiple projects. The platform delivers data to power weather.com, TWC's mobile apps, and third party services who get their weather from us. We handle nearly 200,000 requests per second and receive, process and analyze terabytes of data every day.
The Weather Company was recently acquired by IBM, a major open source contributor in Scala, Spark, Cassandra, and other technologies. We are very excited about this new partnership and are looking forward to the next chapter of developing using our languages and frameworks of choice with the backing of a technology giant.
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
● Proficiency with functional programming using Scala
● Strong understanding of data structures and algorithms
● Strong understanding of Unix primitives and regexes
● Nice to have other languages like Go, Python, Ruby
● Nice to have experience with Docker and Kubernetes
● Desire to learn new technologies and languages
● General knowledge of everyday developer tools
Preferred Tech and Prof Experience
● Interest and knowledge of emerging tools and technologies
● Ability to convey information concisely and clearly
● Ability to work closely and effectively with peer developers
● Solid understanding of parallel and concurrent programming
● Bachelor’s degree or higher in Computer Science, or comparable work experience
● Participation in software design, development, and code reviews
● High level of proficiency with Computer Science/Software Engineering knowledge and contribution to the technical skills growth of other team members
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.