1 Key Roles & Responsibilities
1) Employees with professional legal training and experience ( minimum 10 years PQE ), who are qualified to practice law. China law qualification and/or Chinese language proficiency are strong plus points.
2) Provide advice and counsel on legal matters and business ethics, and conduct and direct litigation. Though the emphasis may differ from location to location, issues arise in areas of antitrust, administrative, commercial, communications, criminal, employment, environmental, general corporate, government contracts, intellectual property, international, labor, mergers and acquisitions, real estate, securities, and tax law.
3) Support BP transactions in China, in particular IT services, Hardware and Software direct and channel sales.
4) Support complex transactions with elements of regulatory compliance, business objective achievement and risk/liability contractual protection.
5) Support the M&A, and compliance-related matters for China.
6) Support the HR and employment related matters.
2 Executive Skills & Competencies
Requires professional legal mastery in all legal areas including but not limited to: litigation, regulatory law, contracts, case law, pending legislation, etc. prepares/implements corporate-wide instructions for proper implementation of the court decisions or legislation affecting the business operations of the IBM corporation.
Responsible for complex negotiations at all levels of product development and/or marketing strategies to reach lasting long-term agreements / contracts / commitments within the confines of the law. Advises management on the legal / ethical aspects arising from day-to-day business activities and/or within a specialty, e.g. human resource matters would include tax, IR, EO, OSHA, open doors, compensation, benefits, etc. Required on an as needed basis to assist with negotiations / communications with external legal agencies / representatives, outside counsel, etc. Effectively bi-lingual language capability would be very beneficial.
Handles complex claims against the company, and assists with the preparation for litigation or arbitration proceedings to resolve controversies, including the coordination of efforts by corporate staff and outside counsel. Develops ongoing and future strategies to avoid potentially damaging legal situations regarding product development, marketing strategies, etc. which often involves working closely with internal counsel representing other countries to ensure appropriate implementation.
Provides expertise in litigation, regulatory law and other governmental activities to management throughout the company. Discharges management responsibilities in directing the work of contract professionals, attorneys and legal counsel team members as focal points for relevant business units. Assumes leadership role in the development of internal company policies and strategies and assists with external dealings with outside counsel involving litigation or business strategies (i.e., acquisitions, lawsuits, etc.). Provide advice and counsel to all levels of management as necessary.
Impact on Business/Scope:
Drafts and reviews agreements, contracts and other documents with a financial exposure between IBM and vendors, contractors, customers, consultants, etc. Accountable for providing quality advice and counsel regarding legal issues throughout IBM.
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
Preferred Tech and Prof Experience
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.